8.15.2011

How to stop a compulsive nail bitier of 24 years?


I always bite my nails, not really when I'm nervous just whenever I drift into deep thought, which is often (like driving my car for example). Sometimes I catch myself in the act and stop, usually when I am around other people. But when I am alone I don't care and seem to even pick at the skin around them. Honestly I could care less about how my nails look but I know it is a bad habit and definetly I get judged poorly by others, so, any suggestions on how to stop?
A few of you suggested fake nails, although it seems like a good idea it isn't for me. I couldn't stand the feeling of having them on my nails and ending up chewing on them until they cracked! So other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!


bobo edited the following: mom
try wearing artificial nails for a while.. :o)

bobo edited the following: joshatgrace
You might try putting vanilla extract on them or putting some harmless but distasteful liquid on them to remind you to keep your mouth away.

bobo edited the following: Serinity4u2find
There is actually something you can paint on your nails that will taste so awful that you can't bite them. I have no idea what it is called.

bobo edited the following: North Central Positronics
You need to associate nail-biting with negative feelings, and everytime you think about nail biting, also make yourself think about negative feelings - i.e., it is gross, people will think you are wierd, you could get a disease - whatever it takes to make you associate nail biting with bad feelings. Humans do things for pleasure, so as soon as it stops being pleasurable, you will stop doing it.

If that fails, dip your fingers in habanero hot sauce or put on some mittens!

bobo edited the following: Brooke S
Keep your nails painted, buy some bitter orange stuff to put on your nails, and sit on your hands.

bobo edited the following: T D
I know a girl who had the same problem and then she had to be in her sisters wedding...so she went and got her nails done professionally (acrylic nails) and she noticed that, that stopped her nail biting problem....and so she kept them and gets them touched up when needed. Now she loves her nails and would never bite them.....she also did not care about the state of her nails previously.....but really, the state of ones nails is something many people do look at and its kinda looked upon as bad hygiene when a person does not take care of their nails. Its something a potential boyfriend or even a potential boss might take into consideration when meeting you.

bobo edited the following: rynay
This worked for me when I was 12 and now after 40 my nails are impossible to break..
everytime you get the urge slap on a coat of clear nail polish. Carry the bottle with you always and do it whenever and where ever the urge hits...everynight you will have about an inch of polish on, just remove it and start over the next day...

bobo edited the following: shiznick
ask your doctor about paxil Cr for compulsive disorder if this is your case. what do you have to lose? not one thing. it should help. make the appt.

bobo edited the following: Lilly Evans
the only thing that worked for me was putting nail polish on the clear didn't work for me because it didn't taste as bad; so try skin toned or white (if you don't like colors).
hope that helped!
-Lilly

bobo edited the following: Inuyasha
well,I am a bit older and do the same thing.try to survive those fake nails,they helped me.I saw something in a drug mart-kind of a ointment or what you put it on your fingers and they "taste" bad,try it,or...I had my friends slapping my hands every time I started to bite my nails.



Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


Orignal From: How to stop a compulsive nail bitier of 24 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment