7.03.2011

How can I minimize gum recession and teeth erosion with a labret?

How can I minimize gum recession and teeth erosion with a labret?

I just had my lip pierced and I was reading a lot of stories about gum recession and teeth erosion caused by the jewelery. I was wondering how can I avoid this or at least minimize it. Thank you.

I just took it out. Thank you very much for your replies. I think I will just get more tattoos done :p


dopplerthesexybeast
I’ve had my lip pierced twice and I’ve had my tongue pierced. As someone with extensive piercing and extensive dental work, I advise you to just not get it done.


At the time I got my lip pierced, I had braces, and so there wasn’t really a problem. Anywhere you get your labret done is going to come in contact with your teeth and / or gums, and because the metal / plastic of the jewelry is not as soft as your lip, you are going to cause some irritation. The extent really varies, depending on how you eat, talk, etc.


When I got my tongue done, I’d had my braces removed and had the bar behind my teeth from a permanent retainer, and it remained there until a car accident knocked the retainer out. With the removal of the braces and the loss of the permanent retainer, there was nothing protecting my teeth and gums from the jewelry.


So what happened? The gum around the base of a bridge was irritated to the point that it slightly receded, revealing the root surface of the tooth, and I am now considering pulling the whole apparatus and having a bridge implanted, at the cost of $ 3000-$ 6000 if I’m lucky.


I also heard from one of my professors last year that the metal can cause a reaction in your mouth that will erode your teeth over time (through your saliva), without even coming into contact with them.


Please do not get this done. I know it can seem attractive, but don’t. These piercings are becoming increasingly more popular, and although I got mine done before the trend got started and everybody jumped on the bandwagon, I can see the allure. Your teeth are too essential to your health to risk them. Get a tattoo, get your eyebrow pierced, get your nipple pierced, anything but something in your mouth.


I don’t want you to think I’m some uptight person telling you not to deface yourself; I’ve had more than 30 piercings and I’ve got some tattoos. I’ve been known to have purple hair. But, from personal experience, the decoration is NOT worth it.


drswansondds
I’m a dentist for 10 years, and I still remember my first labret patient from dental school! he came in after having it for 2 years and (at 22 years old) had lost 80-90% of the bone holding is lower front two teeth in. they were wiggly and infected.


I looked at the xray and frowned. He said, “are you gonna have to pull my teeth?”

me: “um…well…probably not…”

him: “oh, thank god!”

me: “they’ll actually probably come out on their own….”


I like what Purple Hair lady said above very much. I too, am not that uptight – i’m not your mom, i’m like a coach. do whatever you want….but be prepared for the consequences!


I’ve seena lot of tongue rings and a lot of them are just fine, so long as you’re careful and you have regular checkups to make sure it isn’t damaging teeth or gums. I have a hygienist I employ at my office who’s 31 and has had that for years and she’s ok.


HOWEVER – w/ labret…man, it is almost certain to result in the loss of your lower front two teeth. it is not a question of IF, but a question of WHEN…. I will actually be in line at the supermarket or movies and if someone behind me has one, I’ll say, “Look, you don’t know me, and you might not give a damn about my opinion, but please, take that s— out of your face…”


the labret backing almost always erodes the gum (then the bone) holding the lower two front teeth in and over time the teeth loosen. you will then have to pay 5000-8000 dollars in reconstructive dentistry to replace those teeth. I’m not even making this up! please, take it out!


a skilled piercer MAY be able to place it in an area where it will do less damage but now that it’s done, you can’t change it, and you won’t know how bad it is ’til it starts causing IRREVERSIBLE damage. this is like smoking ’til you have trouble breathing…by that time, even if you quit, your lungs will never be back to full capacity.


like above – pierce eyebrow, nose, even tongue is better than labret. it’s just not worth it.


please let ,me know if you have more questions.. i’m so glad you’re doing your homework tho’, and researching the issue! good luck!


Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!




Orignal From: How can I minimize gum recession and teeth erosion with a labret?

No comments:

Post a Comment