6.21.2011

why do I care about beauty?


I've never thought of myself as the superficial type... I'm not vain, I don't really like shopping much, I hate make up and i've pretty much always prided myself on my intelligence - more so than looks.

Well over the last year or so i've started increasingly caring about appearances... I don't want to care, but I DO care!! more than I should. I hate it, I hate noticing stupid things that I never used to. I hate feeling like I have to look in the mirror and I hate feeling like i'm not as good as other girls, I hate wishing I was super skinny, I hate wishing I looked like Keira Knightly. I guess i'm just another of the million teenagers brutally affected by the media... which I always thought i'd NEVER become. Kind of screwed up there didnt I..

Looking back on it, I think at some point I came to the (false) realization that nothing matters as long as your good looking. I fell into that stupid trap...

Yet I STILL care about the way I look~!! Despite knowing its stupid and pathetic, I STILL give a damn! ....but why....?


bobo edited the following: PsykoJizz
It's the media

bobo edited the following: Harlequin Princess
Hey, I don't have any advice, but I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 16, and until a few months ago I couldn't have cared less about my (or anyone else's) looks. In fact, more than that: I think it's fair to say I didn't even *take notice* of that sort of thing. I didn't get crushes until I was older than most girls are when they reach that stage. I knew that I'm smarter than most people, and that was just always enough for me... Well, now it isn't enough for me anymore. :/

bobo edited the following: Juefawn
Why you care about superficial appearances, well, its because people can see the beauty of appearance, before they can see the beauty of intelligence. What you should know, and should have realized already, is that intelligence can get you a lot farther in life then your image can.
So when you look in the mirror, pride yourself on your inner beauty as well, because you know its there = confidance.

bobo edited the following: Makenzie
It's the media. As you grow older they tell you who you should look like and what you should like. I just never really pay attention to those things and I've always gone my own way with hair and make up. I think that if you just pushed aside what you've been told you should look like you'll find that being individual makes you beautiful and who you are. If everyone looked like Keira Knightly then no one would be pretty. If you don't like make up don't use it, it's simple.

bobo edited the following: Sara W
I agree, it's the media. Quit watching E! and looking at tabloids. I think a lot of these stick thin 'beautiful' women are into doing weird things to maintain minus size figures. They have money and are able to hire anyone and buy everything they think is necessary to look 'perfect.' You don't have to be anorexic looking to be pretty. You don't want to yourself say oh the hell with it and let yourself go and not care about how much you weigh or what you look like, and you don't want to become neurotic about your appearance. Keira Knightley to me IS too thin. She does have a pretty face, but I don't think ribs showing in the front and back of an evening gown is such a pretty thing.

bobo edited the following: lil_ducky
If you honestly want to look like keira knightley then look at these:

http://www.womenrepublic.co.uk/usw/4nokeira.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/1zpslqc.jpg

http://ljplus.ru/img/_/q/_querido/skinny.jpg


...okay the last one was a joke. But seriously, keira knightley is just like any of us. she's still human!

How many guys prefer a dumb skanky blonde than an average looking smart, kind, funny chick? The dumb skanky blonde is more than likely not just dating you!

I guess what im saying is... its okay to CARE about how you look, but dont OBSESS over it. remind yourself the things that you like about yourself.

Honey, if your intelligent than you have a lot more going for you than the dumb skanky blondes in this world.

bobo edited the following: No Name
I was the exact same way, and worse yet, I'm a guy. I feel comfortable with myself when I'm alone, in my mind, in my "inner skin". When I am inward, I actually feel like I am worth something; that I am beautiful, and have so much potential. But when I have to face having to meet people, having to look at myself in the mirror when I comb my hair, having to see pictures of myself on someone else's Facebook album with a full-on flash that exposes every outward flaw, I feel so ugly. I was never like this before in my life. In fact I used to make fun of all the beauty-obsessed freaks; I couldn't as much as fathom why they would ever want to spend so much money and so much energy on such superficial needs. But then suddenly there came a time where everything changed, and I blame it on the shows I watched -- this stupid image of everybody having to be perfect to be accepted.

Like you, I prided myself on being intelligent, of being able to rise above this trend. But in a flash -- I was in it! I probably spent a thousand dollars just buying worthless products that claimed to diminish this, hide that, and all that crap. I turned completely obsessed! I became CONSUMED in wanting to be perfect; it was as though it was the only way I could ever be SOMEBODY instead of SOMEONE. But then one day, I stopped. It was probably the most dramatic moment of my life. I was reading my old diaries where I would philosophize over really unconventional things, and I would laugh -- the old me was pretty smart and hilarious, I thought; what happened to him? And then I read all my past-year entries and I've changed so much, it really scared me. The intellectualizing stopped. All I ever wrote about was how my skin is looking dull, "like an ugly canvas", and how people keep staring and clucking their tongues at me. I really deluded myself over this.

And you know how I stopped? I became rebellious against every single flaw that I had. Instead of wanting to hide the mole on my forehead, I left it there, unconcealed. Instead of straightening my wild curly hair, I left it wild -- it became my trademark. People loved me for this. Now, instead of spending so much money on stupid products, I spend money on books, like I used to. And if I have to buy new clothes, I always search for something unique, something no one has ever worn before, and I started loving myself, inside and outside, once and for all.

bobo edited the following: Shlomo
Physical beauty is for men.
Spiritual beauty is for God

bobo edited the following: Jhan
Because you want to shape yourself as someone who must receive and not give, basically you want to change yourself that way.



Add your own answer in the comments!


Orignal From: why do I care about beauty?

No comments:

Post a Comment