4.30.2011

Why do men care for beauty more than women?


I have nothing against men .This is what nature intended it to be.
My thoughts are women care to marry a man who is a good provider, as this ensures the survival and well being of her off spring.
I wonder in what way does men craving beauty affects or fits into the survival of the fittest roles, or betterment of nature in a bilogical or social sense?

I don't know how other girls think , but I always think of how my children would or wouldn't be if I dated or married this or that guy?I think men standards are in general less than women's.They care about decency and some one not bad to look at, but they don't value girls for how smart, or how successful she is , on the contrary of women.Any ideas?
@ Lyndsy : I am not religious , but English is not my first language.I try to figure it out from a biological ,societal, or evolutionary point of view..benefit to the society as a whole
I don't claim they are shallow.I don't say women are shallow when they look for rich guys:).
@Robyoung: I agree that no one likes to deal with stupid, but pretty, but at the same time brains is not no1 selection criterion for most.I think!
@ Susan E:A very interesting perspective.I like your answer, but this doesn't explain why men now want it that much , and why women follow.Is it only shallowness aggrevated by power of media.There is no instinct involved.Interesting perspective though.
@Lyndsey :I agree I made some generalizations, and may be women not looking for what I am looking for.Don't you think that many women crave rich successful men if theyhave the chance to..I may be wrong though.
@pkpundit:I won't assume that women are wiser than men, especially if men are naturally driven to care for beauty.Nature is not dump. The question should have been simpler to men as why do you care for beauty:)?thx anyways.


bobo edited the following: Apollo
i don't care what my smoking hot wife does, she isn't dumb, and she is fun...but what do her brains do for me...they are for her....just like my brains are for me...and for her...woman judge everything guys judge what matters to them....

this means that intelligence isn't really a factor in selection...

bobo edited the following: Lyndsey Brooke
Your ideas and beliefs lead me to believe you're really religious. "What nature intended it to be" and all the talk about offspring and reproducing. There's nothing wrong with being religious, mind you, but your statements are very old fashioned and don't really apply to a lot of relationships these days.

When I date a guy, I don't dwell on the possibility of having children with him. And plenty of people go their whole lives without getting married and having kids. There are a lot of different lifestyles that people choose to live, and there's nothing wrong with any of them. You can't generalize women the way you did. We aren't all looking for what you're looking for, simple as that.

I'd also like to point out that women are just as shallow as men, they're just better at hiding it. Yes, there are women looking for a man who's a good worker, who treats her well, and who would make a good father. But guess what? There are men who want the same types of things in a woman. You just having met a guy like that, apparently.

It really aggravates me when people assume things about all men because of their tunnel-vision view of the gender. You don't know all men, and you haven't met all men. There are a lot of good guys out there, you just need to know where to find them.

bobo edited the following: Mere:)
Men shouldn't care for beauty, they should care for personality because the girl could be beautiful on the outside but ugly on the inside.

bobo edited the following: robyoung3484
Men want to have as many babies as possible with as many women as possible.

Possibly, men want a more attractive woman for both pride and longevity. Men feel great when they land a gorgeous woman. But subconsciously, a more beautiful woman means more visually appealing babies. More pretty babies means more of a chance of procreation.

I disagree with the opinion that men don't value women for their intelligence or success. For some men, it's intimidating, but not ALL men feel so. Most men want a woman to keep up with them. This ensures a lifelong partnership.

Also, just because there are frogs falling from the sky doesn't mean you should catch every one. Choose wisely and a prince will appear.

bobo edited the following: Susan E
I think women are far more obsessed with beauty than men are. Look at all the TV shows (i.e. Housewives of Orange County; Sex and the City;) and advertising for beauty products and the amount of plastic surgery that women are willing to undergo in order to "look beautiful". They give themselves fake tans (risking cancer), won't be seen without makeup on, spend hours and many $ $ on their hair, and a fortune on clothing. They do all this because they think it is what men want, and so over the centuries men have latched onto the idea that external "beauty" is what counts in a woman. Early man looked for a woman who was strong and healthy and would bear healthy children and be able to care for them and him. You say that women look for men who are good providers - this used to be the case but it isn't any more. Some women are looking for a "free ride" with a wealthy man; many women are looking for the same external beauty in a man that many men look for in women. We've lost all sense of perspective. Let's say you found a man who is a very "good provider", steady job, is kind, considerate, compassionate and would make a wonderful husband and father. Then picture him with a birth defect that made one leg shorter than the other so he limps all the time, and a huge red birthmark covering most of his face. Tell me honestly would his great qualities interest you enough to become his partner? We humans are very shallow creatures and have become unable to spot the good qualities in a person because we don't look deeper than the exterior layer. It no longer has anything to do with survival of the fittest or betterment of society.

bobo edited the following: pkpundit
Good question.

As per quotation of Dr. Singh on 'Human Nature and Development' as below,

"Truth quite often pinches the ego and thus is hurtful."

Your observation appears quite valid and the simple and straightforward answer is that the women in general are wiser and look at the situation of life in greater detail then men while the men are overwhelmed by lust and can't and or don't use the brain to look at the immediate and long term consequences and responsibilities.



Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


Orignal From: Why do men care for beauty more than women?

No comments:

Post a Comment