4.29.2011

Sugar glider nail care...?


My sugar glider is not yet bonded to me. He will happily run around on me, but if I try to handle him, he gets extremely stressed out. How should I go about trimming his nails?

He has a wodent wheel and I was considering getting the nail tek insert for it, but he doesn't run on his wheel overly much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!


bobo edited the following: Sara
Hi, first of all, sugar gliders should be kept in pairs or groups. Please look into getting a friend for your sugar glider as they can become extremely depressed when kept alone.

Now, the trim tracks on the wheel... some people say they work great, but I've never had any luck with them. My gliders are wheel hogs, too, but I still need to trim their nails at least every 2 weeks.

What I do is simply take them (in their sleeping pouch) during the afternoon, when they're sleeping. I drop in a bunch of treats (yogurt drops, freezedried mealies, freeze dried papaya)... Then, I reach in, pull out a limb, and clip away. Now, I do it so that they can still see me, but others find it easier to sort of "close" the pouch around the limb. Clip only the very tip. And remember, it's not all that big of a deal if you don't get them all at once -- just try again later, or the next day. Stop whenever it seems like he's getting stressed out.

Also, make sure that you have a clean sleeping pouch to switch him into after the nail trimming, as he'll likely pee and poo in the other one during it (mine always do). For this reason, I like to have at least two pouches in the cage at all times, and multiple other pouches to switch out.

If you want to wait until you bond with the glider more, you can have the vet clip his nails for you. He should have a vet visit anyway. Nail clippings usually cost between 10 and 20 at the vets office, but price will vary widely.


Here are some links:
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/75583_sugar-gliders-trimming-nails.htm
http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nailtrimming.htm
http://bmxglider.tripod.com/oguhandsnailsfeet.html
http://www.petsugargliders.com/sgnail.php
http://jillmariestuff.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/9890810-getting-ready-for-nail-trimming



Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


Orignal From: Sugar glider nail care...?

No comments:

Post a Comment