4.20.2011

Need help with teenage brother?

I have a teenage brother. I am 25 he is 18yo. Father passed away six years ago and mother has diabetes. I have tried my best to look after him. He gives me so much attitude. Sometimes it just hurts me so much. He has this “I don’t care” attitude that just drives me crazy. I would get mad at him sometimes and point out why it is wrong to treat someone that loves him very much like that. He would change and be nice and better for a week,but then he goes to school and he comes back with that ” I don’t care” attitude again. For example, he has a stomach pain and its been going on for years. I have brought him to the doctors a few times, but he hates taking the medicine. I have tried so many times to pursuade him to take the medicine and watch what he eats, but he just says stuff like, ” I’m use to the pain,” or ” If I die, I die.” This just hurts me so much. Also, in the past, he had some issues of hitting people. When he gets really exicited or when he gets really angry, he would hit people. He has never hit me before, but this hurts me that he is like this too because I know there is something in his heart that is hurting him, something he just holds inside and won’t let out and when he gets really angry, he just expresses it with physical actions. He is much better today, you can tell he is a much happier person. He went through therapy for two years, I don’t know if that helped him much. But I know that there is still a shadow that has not completly been lifted from his heart. He still goes through his sudden ups and downs. Sometimes I try not to take his “I don’t care” attitude so personally. I try to think that is what most teenagers are like. But I am also afraid he is like this because he doesn’t want to feel hurt again. Because sometimes when you start caring and loving someone,if you eventually lose that person or that person leaves you, the pain is sometimes too much to bare and he has gone through depression before when dad died. So perhaps it is to protect himself. But I can see he has a lot of emotions inside of him. He holds it all inside. Sometimes when I cough or don’t feel well, he would jump out and ask me if I am okay. He doesn’t usually like to show that he cares about you or he doesn’t like you to discover that he cares about you. It’s almost as if caring is a weakness for him and he often surprises you by all of a sudden paying for dinner, the phone bill, or washing your car when you didn’t ask him to. So I get confused sometimes. Maybe he is a little mature and DOES care and appreciate the things I do for him. He just doesn’t know how to express his feelings that well. But it is always up and down with him. Sometimes loving, sometimes bullets just come out of his mouth and hits you in the heart.


Please give suggest, comments and ecouragment. Thanks!


- Naguru
I think it is all common in every family.


- sakura
WOW! I’m so going through this too, though my brother is one who’s just entered puberty. I thought that I was caring for him properly, but now he says that I’m mean all the time and goes for weeks without talking to me. I try to look at things from HIS perspective, which helps a lot. Because of this, I try to listen to him and not to get annoyed over every little fault of his. I hope that you’re not so far off the point that you can’t talk with each other. It’s helps if you can discuss things, be COMMUNICATIVE. We can’t see everything from their perspective after all since we don’t walk in their footsteps 24/7.


I’m holding a lot of things inside since I can’t talk with anyone. They just don’t understand even when I say we need to communicate, so I believe that your brother probably wants to talk to someone, but feels that you won’t understand. Also, I’m the same as your brother in that, no only do I hold it all inside, but it’s because I don’t want to be hurt. I’m afraid that I haven’t found a friend that has continued to communicate with me after all the times that I’ve moved, so I kind of feel like nothing lasts forever so why bother to work for it in the first place. please try to communicate with your brother and have patience! An aloof attitude is a defensive mechanism from getting involved and possibly hurt. I wish you the best of luck!


- Korey
Aww thats so sad =’[. He will get betta just keep on giving him support nd guide him through everything that urv already been through, he will get better with some help. i have a m8 that ive known for most of my life nd she lost her mom from cancer when she was 6 and lost her dad from a heart attack when she was 9. She always seemed sad and didnt talk much, and like ur bro she would act like she just didnt care and it was hard for her cause she was with her older brother and sister and them too were taking it just as hard. She moved with her aunty in the city and was abussed, sexually, and that went on for a year then she moved back here 1ce she went for help. I was there for her the hole time and now its bout 5 years on from her fathers death and even tho she dose have her bad days, shes slowly gettin betta and now she laughs and smiles alot more and just has more life in her. Im just trying ta say u gota give him support and maybe take him out camping on the special occasion just to show him that lifes still worth living. I really do hope he gets better and ur a real gr8 brother! =]


- pxpdoo
All explanatory, to a degree

His feelings are like violent things that he knows about, just because they are what he’s trying to say in those “words”

After years of imprisonment, how would one feel?

Watch the Prisoner of Azkaban, as he has…

What if he was protecting you? And you just didn’t know?


Give your answer to this question below!




Orignal From: Need help with teenage brother?

No comments:

Post a Comment