6.24.2011

Q&A: Why do I care about beauty?


I've never thought of myself as the superficial type... I'm not vain, I don't really like shopping much, I hate make up and i've pretty much always prided myself on my intelligence - more so than looks.

Well over the last year or so i've started increasingly caring about appearances... I don't want to care, but I DO care!! more than I should. I hate it, I hate noticing stupid things that I never used to. I hate feeling like I have to look in the mirror and I hate feeling like i'm not as good as other girls, I hate wishing I was super skinny, I hate wishing I looked like Keira Knightly. I guess i'm just another of the million teenagers brutally affected by the media... which I always thought i'd NEVER become. Kind of screwed up there didnt I..

Looking back on it, I think at some point I came to the (false) realization that nothing matters as long as your good looking. I fell into that stupid trap...

Yet I STILL care about the way I look~!! Despite knowing its stupid and pathetic, I STILL give a damn! ....but why....?


bobo edited the following: Jason
Try to google easthetics on a good philosophy site.

bobo edited the following: ^MovieStar^
because beauty DOES matter.

Who is thumbing me down? you are just being in denial because as harsh as this may sound, it is the truth.

bobo edited the following: Nasir Jones
Everyone should care about looks. I am a guy and a lot of people say only gay or metro sexual guys care about clothes and crap but i don't think that's true. When i was younger i didn't really care how i looked either and i would just wear shorts and a hoodie everywhere. But as you get older you realize the first thing people see about you is your looks. I think i am very intelligent but when people see me they don't see my test scores they see what i am wearing and how i carry myself therefore i always try to look nice. So i don't really think it should matter to you WHY you are this way now you should just be content you don't go around looking like a bum. But i honestly think it was just puberty.

bobo edited the following: Amarrylis
Beauty does matter. When most employers have to pick a candidate at the end of a selection process and 2 of them have exactly the same qualifications, who do they pick? Not the ugly one.

bobo edited the following: Hayy(:
It happens to almost everyone, its really rare for people not to care what they look like at all, especially in this day and age. even people who say they dont care at all, deep down theres a 99.9% chance a small part of them does wish they were skinnier, or prettier, or had nicer hair, even if they dont admit it. like you said though,,,

"i'm just another of the million teenagers brutally affected by the media"

thats probablly the main reason why you, and everyone else feel like this. for example i was reading through a magazine and read an article about a celebrity who was going her loose her fame because shed gone up to a size 10 clothing, and it was giving the impression a size 10 is absolutly shockingly fat! but when reading that, im a size 10, sometimes even a size 12, so that made me feel bad about myself, and its things that this that make people turn annorexic and become extremely ill.

your only normal, and even if you didnt want to, it was bound to happen that you started caring about your looks, but dont worry about it. beautiful looks only last a short time, whereas getting good grades, a good job, setting up a good family, that lasts a life time so concentrate on that more, like your doing (:

bobo edited the following: Special Edition
It's only natrual at this age, maybe you'll grow out of it...? I think you probably have been influenced by the media. If you see pictures of Megan Fox and Cheryl Cole everywhere, or magazines pointing out celebrities every flaw, and advice on how to get to size 00, no frigging wonder that you care about appearances! Women are under a lot of pressure to look good by the media. I mean there is nothing wrong with scrubbing up a bit, and admittedly when people look good on the outisde they feel good on the inside. But when women y'know, wear make-up everyday, idolize pretty people, spend loads of money on haircuts and "this seasons" new fashion - well, that's pretty shallow and unhealthy that looks are that important to them...

Just remember people can't help how they were born, so just because someone is beautiful doesn't mean that they are more "worthy" than someone who is ugly; it's only skin deep, right?
I think you should enjoy your youth and beauty whilst you have it, because it goes after a while, just try not to judge people by how they look. Besides, isn't everyone beautiful in their own way?

Beauty is on the inside :]

bobo edited the following: AcidAbbie
BEAUTY COMES FROM THE INSIDE :) x

bobo edited the following: breathe me
I can completely relate to you you. Being a teen, I've always waved away the superficial stuff -- it's simply in my character to consider shopping boring and makeup a waste of time. Particularly these past two years, I realized that I've changed rapidly -- and I've come to embrace the fact that everyone, on some level, needs to feel comfortable and confident, and, most teens base how they feel about themselves on their physical appearance. It's true, and inevitable.

Believe me, it is so incredibly natural to care about what you look like. In fact, I recommend it. After all, if you look good, you feel good, and if you feel good, you do good. You're certainly correct that what's "upstairs" matters way more than what you put on your face and body. But there's absolutely no way you can have one and not the other. The crucial, key thing is that they balance each other out. While you need maintain personal hygiene, live healthy, and just be generally happy with your image, just as much significance is placed upon your study habits, social skills, and basic academic life.

There's no need to trash the media for this. We can read the billboards and advertisements but it's up to us whether we want to buy those ab-blasting machines, weight loss pills, creams, hair extensions ... the list goes on and on. As humans, it's inevitable to want what you can't have.

Instead, realize that as a growing person, you do have hormones, emotions, and common sense. There is no way you can move about through teenagerhood with a garbage bag over your head and shutting out all the media-inflated messages and junk.
Confidence will make the difference. Learn to love your body. It will make caring about beauty worth it, once you know and embrace yourself for what you are. Keira Knightley is beautiful, but guess what? So are you? Millions of teens are "brutally affected by the media". You better be glad you are too. That's normal, and there's nothing wrong with it.

As far it goes with the assumption that "nothing matters as long as you're good looking", I can find many arguments for that. Most Runway models are pretty, or at the very least unique-looking girls. Most of them are jobless by their twenties. It's a gift to be physically attractive, but it's gorgeous, sexy, and breathtaking to be intelligent. A mix of both, which you could easily and potentially become, would lead you to stardom. : )

Take a breath, chillax, and realize that as a teen, you are prone to these kinds of feelings. Just don't be consumed with it, and don't worry about stumbling along the way. It happens to us all!

bobo edited the following: Miss Cυρcαкe
Well people are different and some people don't care about how they look. i personally don't really care about makeup anymore but i like knowing my skins fine and i look presentable. i don't know what it is but make up just isn't important to me anymore.
there's much more import stuff in my life that i should worry about more.
:)



Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


Orignal From: Q&A: Why do I care about beauty?

No comments:

Post a Comment