1.28.2011

Q&A: How come Europeans don't really care about beauty pageants like here in America?


unless they do, do they?


Answer by Akbar
there so beautiful it would be too hard to judge them

Answer by 1400
Cause you can see beautiful people all over Europe. they don't need the beauty pageants!!!

Answer by єℓιzαвєтн ♥ Рождеством
I would think because we live in such different society then them. People here in US are MUCH more materialistic. I am from Russia, and moving here was the biggest shock of my life. There is lot of money here, and people do not value it. Mother's here put their children in beauty pageants for the money. Then they do not spend it on the right things. But, every country has something they greed on.

Answer by Ayanna
Because people in Europe recognize that there are much more important things to worry about than beauty pageants. We Americans are EXTREMELY materialistic and obsess over looks. Just take a look at the stands of a magazine rack and at TV shows. We constantly showcase beautiful people and we put out the notion that looks and wealth are all that matter. If you're a size 8 here in America, you're deemed fat. In Europe, they are not overly concerned with parading around in bathing suits and having small children compete against each other for a crown.

So in short answer, Europeans have higher priorities when compared to stuff like beauty pageants.

Answer by Elizabeth
I didn't think most Americans cared about beauty pageants either? Beauty pageants are seen by most as shallow, objectifying women for their looks alone. The humanitarian and charity causes supported by the winner give pageants a very vague reason for existing, although most people watching them aren't there for brains and compassion.

Here's a statement from the BBC:
"I believe these contests no longer merit national air time," Michael Grade, who is in charge of the BBC's Channel 1, said in a written statement. "They are an anachronism in this day and age of equality and verging on the offensive."
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/18/arts/bbc-to-stop-televising-beauty-pageants.html

There is a strong egalitarian movement in most of Europe, which I can say doesn't exist to the same extent in the US. Men in most countries here are more likely to share housework equally, cook, take care of kids etc. Many women are independent and completely self-sufficient. Beauty pageants sort of drag this progress back to the dark ages. Parading around in bikinis and evening gowns to be judged doesn't promote anything good for the contestant's intelligence, strength, personality, talent, etc. Modelling can at least be artistic and creative, and you can make a career out of it.

In some countries, pageants are a way for disadvantaged girls to get out of their situation. It's just unfortunate that they have to resort to that rather than be respected for other qualities.

I used to work in administration for a beauty pageant organizer in the US (it was right after high school and I needed a job, it paid well). It horrified me, the materialism, competitiveness, pressure on young girls, aggression, etc. The fathers were the worst, you wouldn't believe some of the things I saw. A lot of the girls' confidence and esteem were really low, and the obsession with perfection was scary. I quit after a month because I actually felt sick going to work every day.

Answer by Orla C
I think the whole glorification of a girl's looks and her looks alone are a total crock. There is more to people that what you see on the surface.

No, beauty pageants are not a big deal in Europe. They are considered only a slight cut above strip clubs.

Answer by conley39
Actually, the Miss Italia pageant here is a bigger deal than beauty pageants are in the US have been for years. There's a local part of the pageant in the town where I live at the city fair in May. There's even a Miss Italia - rest of the world pageant in addition to the one here in Italy - the contestants are women with Italian ancestry who are from other countries.

Answer by Marilyn T
I know that at least in Hungary there is a Miss Hungary and a Miss Black Hungary beauty contest every year on the tv.
In the Miss Black Hungary contest, the girls have to be born in Hungary and have a black and a Hungarian parent to enter.
EDIT: I was just thinking over my answer and realized that having two seperate contests in Hungary was actually a very racist thing to do. Like the black women couldn't compete with the white ones. I wonder if they see it that way themselves since I am an American and tend to be sensitive to racial issues.

Answer by ?
Because there are a lot of beautiful people in Europe, where in America they have more fatter people than beautiful. That's probably why they need to have beauty pageants.



Give your answer to this question below!


Orignal From: Q&A: How come Europeans don't really care about beauty pageants like here in America?

No comments:

Post a Comment